Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Do you feel getting the optional BMW service contract that extends from 4/50 to 6/100 worth it?

I can't remember how much this additional service contract costs, but at the time when I purchased my used 330i 2003 BMW, it seemed way too much! Has anyone really done the math or has first hand experience to see if this upfront cost is really worth it. I felt that the total repair costs from an independent good BMW mechanic would be much less than the service contract, especially for oil changes (every 10,000 miles), brakes and rotors. I can take care of the fluids and wiper blades -so no big deal there. The gamble of course is major engine or transmission problem between the years 4 - 6 ,or 50,000 -10,000 miles. What do all think?Do you feel getting the optional BMW service contract that extends from 4/50 to 6/100 worth it?
Be sure you make the distinction between BMW's extended warranty vs. the extended maintenance contract. The extended warranty covers defects. The extended maintenance just provides the routine oil changes, brakes, rotors and service inspections.



I would get the extended warranty if you plan to keep the car. The extended maintenance is questionable unless you can get it for a good deal. You can probably manage oil changes and routine service cheaper from an independent mechanic.Do you feel getting the optional BMW service contract that extends from 4/50 to 6/100 worth it?
Start with the premise that the person with the most data has the advantage. That being said, do you think the car owner or the car seller has more data on failure rates and expected repair costs.



I think extended warranties are a huge moneymaker for the people selling them. Why else do you think they apply so much pressure to get the buyer to take them?



Of course if you had a crystal ball, you could know if you will ever need repairs. Since you don't, you have to assign a cost to contract that also figures in the time use of money. You will also have to figure the actual odds or probability of a repair. The final calculation needs to be the probability that you will still own the car when it need repair.Do you feel getting the optional BMW service contract that extends from 4/50 to 6/100 worth it?
Hey Fredyg,

In my opinion, it would be a good idea to get that extended warranty, I have 2 BMWs and both of them 3 series, when it comes to repairs...they will kill you, what you are talking about is preventive maintenance. If you can afford the cost upfront, go for it ...you will have a good night's sleep..trust me on that.Do you feel getting the optional BMW service contract that extends from 4/50 to 6/100 worth it?
ahh i would extend it. i have a 330ci thats constantly being brought back to the dealership to be serviced.. good luck!Do you feel getting the optional BMW service contract that extends from 4/50 to 6/100 worth it?
A service center once told me that BMW stands for %26quot;Bring Massive Wallet%26quot;. If you drive your car like I do, then its worth it. I opted not to get the warrenty and I ended up paying close to $1000 every time I took it in to get it serviced. I later learned how to reset all of the various warning sensors and service light indicators so I didn't have to take it to the dealer any time I needed repair work done.Do you feel getting the optional BMW service contract that extends from 4/50 to 6/100 worth it?
When you say Service Contract are you talking about the Maintenance upgrade Including Oil changes windshield blades Brakes,including rotors and pads ($550.00 Ea.to replace either the fronts or the rears) Scheduled service inspections Belts Engine air filters Brake fluid service ..Remember this service is preformed by quality service expert tech's The price also includes Roadside Assistance and should offer a Loaner program..The cost of the Brakes alone should pay for the full extra 2 yr's or up to 100k Miles I can tell you this I bought it for my 2003 325CiDo you feel getting the optional BMW service contract that extends from 4/50 to 6/100 worth it?
Extended maintenance:

Ehh anyone can do an oil change. I dont care what anyone says, the oil change process is the same. just the parts used are different. And I'd never do 10k on any oil. But thats just me



As for the warranty, HOW MUCH is the warranty?

If its 1500, I'd go for it. 2k+...ehh I dunno.

Brakes are expensive, yes. The rotor and pad are designed to wear out together, thats why.

IF you plan on driving it badly (tracking etc), then it may be a very good idea!