Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I get a wiper arm off?

I just bought a Peugeot 406 `98 estate. Some previous idiot changed the wiper blades to opposite sides. There is a 22 inch %26amp; a 24 inch. I could tell right away that the longest should be on the driver`s side. I checked my theory out on another identical car.

Thing is the same idiot put a clip in the long one so I can`t just swap the blades.

I need to get the entire arm off in order to try to get the clip off.

I upped the bonnet %26amp; undid the securing nut, but the arm wouldn`t just lift up off the thread as I thought it would.

Is there some kind of secret to getting the damn thing off?

I`m afraid to pry it.

I need help, please.How do I get a wiper arm off?
if you really think the arm need to come off...the nut pushes it onto a spline...its like a post with small grooves and as the nut is tightened it clamps the blade so it won't rotate.which when you think about it is wise..you prise it off with a screwdriver blade from the lower part...carefully...your fingers and the windscreen ar not far away....having said all that....l think they do not need taking off...just undo the wipers from the clips.at the end of the metal arm..usually they snap in place the plastic bit has a little spigot on it which need releasing.using a tiny screwdriver.then swap the blades...and cool off prior to starting...if you get angry with cars..they bite back..lol..read the manual before starting to check you are right....just suppose you are not..eating words is no fun...How do I get a wiper arm off?
just try and get a small screw driver under neath and gently lever it up off the splinesHow do I get a wiper arm off?
it should pull off without taking the wiper arm off, look for U shaped plastic clip and pull it outwardsHow do I get a wiper arm off?
you need to pry it off, the spindle that the arm is attached to is knurled,it has cogs like a gear around the face of it,the arm has the same things.When thee arm is pushed onto the spindle the %26quot;gears%26quot; slide between each other.How do I get a wiper arm off?
after the securing nut, the other people are pretty much right, it fits into grooves...a screwdriver on the undernieth of it will help, but also, an old body shop trick is to bend the wiper back a little bit, to help relieve the pressure, then pull and wiggle it free.How do I get a wiper arm off?
Here's a trick when you don't have a tool called a %26quot;puller%26quot; to get tapered splined shafts apart: Put the nut back on, but BE SURE it's backed off several turns. The reason is that we want to protect the threads on the shaft. Now, GENTLY hit the nut squarely with a hammer while pulling the wiper arm toard you. This tapping will usually do the trick - hit the area with a lubricant (WD40 here in the states). I had to do EXACTLY the same thing with my Citroen CX (yes, there are about 50 of them in the USA) in order to get it off to restore it.



Good luck...remember: Gently!How do I get a wiper arm off?
Go to a safari park and let the monkeys do it.How do I get a wiper arm off?
As every one has aleady said the reason it will not budge is that it is on splines and will need some gentle pursuading off being careful not touch the bottom off the windscreen.